What were the most memorable milestones of 2019? Which states are likely to have the biggest impact in the 2020 presidential primaries? What did we learn about the health risks of e-cigarettes and vaping? How much has—and hasn’t—changed in the last 10 years? The latest edition of America’s best-selling reference book rounds up the events that made the year 2019 unique and will serve as your number one source for the years to come.
“For more than 150 years, The World Almanac has been the authoritative source for Americans’ questions on any subject,” said Sarah Janssen, senior editor of The World Almanac. “The 2020 edition of The World Almanac records the biggest events and issues of 2019 and will be your go-to reference for questions on any topic in 2020.”
New features from The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2020 include:
- 2020 Election Preview:The World Almanac provides a comprehensive look at the entire 2020 election process, including a calendar of state primaries and caucuses. Also includes 2019 election results for governors’ seats and special congressional elections.
- Decade in Review:As the ‘teens’ decade closes, The World Almanac analyzes the highlights, low points, and everything-in-between of the past 10 years. From the introduction of Obamacare and iPads in 2010 to “Old Town Road” and the immigration policy debate in 2019, The World Almanac provides a recap of events and puts into perspective just how much has—and hasn’t—changed.
- World AlmanacEditors’ Picks: Never Say Die: With Tiger Woods achieving the seemingly impossible in 2019 with his 15th major title—his first Masters win in 14 years—the editors list their favorite major comeback moments from athletes across the sports universe.
- New Sections: Reorganized chapters on “Food and Agriculture,” “Educational Statistics,” and “Colleges and Universities”make it easier to find information about high-interest subjects like food, nutrition, student loans, a directory of colleges, and much more.
- Other New Highlights: The World Almanacshares new statistics on topics including top-grossing movies, biggest YouTube channels and podcasts, U.S. and worldwide religious populations, and the rise of health insurance costs.
Favorite sections making their return include:
- Statistical Spotlight: The World Almanacpresents statistics relevant to the biggest news of the year. These data visualizations provide important context and new perspectives to give readers a fresh angle on key issues.
- The World at a Glance: This annual feature of The World Almanactakes a quick look at the surprising stats and curious facts that define the changing world. Includes a sneak peek at upcoming celebrity milestone birthdays in 2020.
- The Year in Review:The World Almanac takes a look back at 2019 while providing all the information you’ll need in 2020.
o 2019—Top 10 News Topics: The editors of The World Almanac list the top stories that held the world’s attention in 2019.
o 2019—Year in Sports: The World Almanac provides hundreds of pages of trivia and statistics that are essential for any sports fan, featuring coverage of the women’s World Cup soccer tournament; a quick preview of the upcoming 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan; the World Series and improved MLB player stats; and much more.
o 2019—Year in Pictures: The World Almanac displays a striking collection of full-color images from around the world in 2019, covering news, entertainment, science, and sports.
o 2019—Offbeat News Stories: The World Almanac editors found some of the strangest news stories of the year, including how some art thieves learned that crime really doesn’t pay and the reason kids in a Danish town couldn’t wait for their new waste treatment plant to open.
o World Almanac Editors’ Picks: Time Capsule: The World Almanac lists the items that most came to symbolize the year 2019, from news and sports to pop culture.
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2020 is available for purchase at www.worldalmanac.com and wherever books are sold. For the eBook version, please check your online retailer.
About The World Almanac
The World Almanac is a publisher of award-winning reference titles dating back more than 150 years. The imprint includes the iconic title The World Almanac and Book of Facts, the best-selling American reference book of all time.
The World Almanac is an imprint of Infobase Holdings (www.infobaseholdings.com), an educational media company that owns such well-known brands as Facts On File, Films Media Group, Chelsea House, Bloom’s, and Ferguson’s. Infobase is a portfolio company investment of Centre Lane Partners, a private investment firm focused on making credit and equity, control and non-control, investments in North American middle market companies.