Famed for its truffles, and with towns like Barolo and Barbaresco, it’s easy to understand why Piedmont is a gourmand’s paradise. The Langa and Roero regions of Piedmont are in one of the most important wine production areas in Italy and received UNESCO World Heritage status in 2014. This hiking tour of Piedmont on October 9-15, 2023 will take guests to the heart of these regions, over rolling hills covered with endless vineyards and past ancient castles and hidden hilltop hamlets. Vineyards cover most of the hills here and wines such as Barolo, Barbaresco, Barbera and Nebbiolo are perfectly paired with dishes that will make each meal a gastronomic event. Towns like Pollenzo, La Morra, and Alba are perfect stops for a taste of what the region has to offer, where strolling through the cobbled streets and sitting in geranium-decked piazzas is a great way to end a day of hiking. The Alba truffle fair gets in full swing in October and November, beginning with the “Palio degli Asini,“ the donkey race. For more information, visit https://www.tourissimo.
“The wine region of Piedmont could very well be the ultimate destination for casual hikers who are also food and wine lovers,” said Beppe Salerno, co-founder of Tourissimo. “Accommodations during your journey include a UNESCO site, a wine estate, and a boutique hotel in the countryside. In early October, it might still be harvesting time for the nebbiolo grapes and the colors make the hills and vineyards look like they are painted!”
- Two important wine regions, Langa and Roero
- UNESCO World Heritage Site (vineyards landscape)
- Villages of Barolo and Barbaresco, the namesakes of two world-famous red wines
- Visit the Slow Food promoted “wine bank”
- Stunning hiking along rolling hills covered with vineyards and quaint medieval villages
- Castle-topped villages, which lend a historic and romantic feel to the area
- Some of the best regional food in Italy, including truffles, cheese, and hazelnut Gianduja chocolates
- Dinner at two Michelin Star restaurants
About Tourissimo: We are Italy experts and have several decades of combined experience in all facets of the adventure travel industry. We came together to combine our strengths and focus on what we do best: create and operate tour programs that showcase the best of Italy. In addition to offering fixed departures in some of Italy’s most enchanting areas, we work with tour operators, travel agents and group leaders to provide high-quality, intelligently designed and exciting custom itineraries all over the country. https://www.